We Seek After
These Things
Recently returned from serving the people of Honduras for 3 years

Friday, September 21, 2012

Book Group for 2012 - 2013

Awesome books coming up for this year . . .

Just take a look below at all the loveliness :D

First up in October we have - (drumroll please . . . )

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Night Circus - by Erin Morgenstern






followed by Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas in November






(Sooooo appropriate for December don't you think!  :)



followed by Johnny Tremain by Ester Forbes in January


(A Kindle bargain at $4.99 - by the way . . .)
(and the book that I am reviewing by the way, you won't want to miss this one :)


And then River of Doubt by Candice Millard for February
(Official Title - River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey)



In March we're reading - Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda


(and going OUT to lunch for some yummy Indian food!
How FUN is that!!)


For April the book is - The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom



Soooo excited!
The author shares this information and recipe for Molasses Cake

While in Williamsburg, I watched re enactors roast beef over a spit in a kitchen fireplace. Small potatoes in a pan beneath the meat were browning in the drippings, and I cannot tell you how I longed for a taste. That was my inspiration for the Christmas meal. For basics, such as the chicken soup, I built a recipe around what I knew would have been available for use in the kitchen house at that time.
Whenever Belle baked a molasses cake, I craved a taste. I did try several old recipes that I found, but I was unsatisfied with the results. So, using the old recipes as a baseline, my daughter, Erin, and I created our own version of a simple yet moist and tasty molasses cake. I am happy to share it with the readers:
Simple Molasses Cake
½ cup butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
½ cup milk
1 cup molasses
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 dashes ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inchsquare baking pan. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and the molasses. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Add each of these alternately to the butter mixture, beating well between additions. Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.



Our last book for the season will be Whitethorn Woods by Maeve Binchy




I would love to know what is on your reading list for the upcoming season!

Enjoy!!




3 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Looks like a good lineup!

=)

PS. We are going to visit Williamsburg soon. Can't wait!

Andrea said...

The Night Circus is definitely on my list. I read the Kitchen House a couple years ago--it was kinda sad, but I really liked it.

tammy said...

Ooh...I haven't read any of Maeve Binchy in awhile. Adding that to my list! That cake looks so yummy!

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_07.jpg  photo s_10.jpg