We Seek After
These Things
Recently returned from serving the people of Honduras for 3 years

Monday, October 6, 2008

Reflections on General Conference




Hmmmmm . . . where to begin . . . . loved it . . . every session! As every speaker was announced my heart gave a little 'jump for joy', my favorite, another of my favorites, how did they know who all my very favorite and most inspiring speakers are?! Each one shared such an inspiring testimony and message of hope, which I think we were all ready to hear after the 'doom & gloom' that pervades the media and much of our thoughts this last month.

A temple in Rome - now that's exciting! I guess from the audience reaction in the conference center that many others echoed my sentiment! It's one of my favorite cities ever (despite the fact I once lost half my children there for a period of time, but that's another blogspot). I think I'm starting to make travel plans . . . but back to conference - I loved how right at the very beginning President Monson who is always so positive and uplifting reminded us "that our Heavenly Father is mindful of each one of us and our needs".

Following President Monson's opening remarks came another member of the First Presidency - President Deiter F. Uchdorf, someone whom I believe is quickly becoming a great souce of inspiration for many in the church, both here in the United States and in other countries as well as the first member of the First Presidency who comes originally from outside the United States. He has become most endearing during his apostleship and I was eagar to hear his message, which significantly enough was concerning hope. He likened hope, along with faith and charity to a three-legged stool that stabilizes our life despite uneven or rough surfaces and challenging times. I loved this quote "Hope is not knowledge but rather an abiding trust that Heavenly Father will fulfill his promises . . . it is believing and expecting that our prayers will be answered" - just beautiful!

I loved that Dallin H. Oakes made reference to texting as he spoke about holiness and need for preparation in taking the sacrament. Can't say we haven't heard it from the pulpit now. Okay everyone put those cell phones away. I loved the sweet and powerful testimony of Elder Marcos A. Aidukaitus (and you have to love his overwhelming spirit that comes straight from the heart with his wonderful accent!) He is from Brazil but mentioned that his ancestors came from Lithuania, and shared such a sweet tribute to his father. Loved Sister Allred's talk on missionaries - we're big fans of and love to hear about missionaries in our home!

I think my very favorite General Conference moment ever is Elder Wirthlins story about the blind date. We were delighted to see him so healthy for this conference, and we're still chuckling days later about the mix up of the two sisters, the blind date and the baby sitting dad! Then Elder Hollands message on angels - again, I know I'm being repetitive but each speaker was just so amazing! Some of my favorites, "I testify that angels are still sent to help us", "search diligently, pray always and be believing", "not all angels are from the other side of the veil" - another amazing source of inspiration and hope.

Other favorites - Elder Bednars thoughts on prayer, as the spiritual "creation" of the day and then the cycle of returning in the evening to report. From Elder Corbridge, "life is hard, but life is simple, get on the path and never, ever give up". I really like President Monson's, "find joy in the journey - now!" and "say I love you more", "express thanks" - all great reminders.

I appreciated how Sister Dalton looked right into the eyes of the youth through the camera and spoke of temples, virtue, keeping high moral standards, and told them, "you must never underestimate the power of your righteous influence". She is a beautiful wife and mother and such a great example to women and our young women everywhere. Then from Elder Russell M. Nelson on celestial marriage, "it requires one to be married to the RIGHT person, in the RIGHT place, and by the RIGHT authority", and also "harmony in marriage comes only when one esteems the welfare of his or her spouse among their highest of priorities". Whew, big breath - almost done!

Elder Cook's message on the Atonement and sharing his experience with President Monson's birthday wish that everyone "find someone who is having a hard time . . . and do something for them". Well - it was a conference filled with many good things, and these are just a few of my observations and favorites.

Now comes the hard part - taking all these teachings to heart and implementing them in our homes with our loved ones and family members.

No comments:

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_07.jpg  photo s_10.jpg