We Seek After
These Things
Recently returned from serving the people of Honduras for 3 years

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo just sounds like a festive day!

Say it . . . Cinco de Mayo!

Let it kind of roll off your tongue with a "south of the border" flair . . .

It brings to mind large sombrero's, mariachi bands, colorful ponchos

and



Cafe Rio

Of course, Cafe Rio is a relatively new association. They've only been around since 1997.

BUT . . . I knew soon as I got up and looked at the calendar that today would have to be a Cafe Rio day. If you don't live nearby one of these restaurant establishments - I'm sorry . . . you really are missing out.


Missing out on the grilled chicken or the cafe rio pork, the creamy cilantro dressing, a sliver of lime, served up in a homemade, hot off the grill flour tortilla. And the best part - is the daily fiesta the workers seem to be having at each visit. They can make serving up salads and burritos seem like a tremendous party.

Must be contagious because they are now one of the top rated restaurants in the country.



But GOOD NEWS!



You can attempt to duplicate their salads at home. I found this recipe which our family makes regularly and it really is pretty close.


Course you miss out on the fiesta, unless of course you have a little latino blood of your own, a large sombrero and a mariachi band hidden down in the basement :)





Enjoy!






Ay yi yi yi . . . canta y no llores
go ahead sing along, you know you want to :)

5 comments:

Clairity said...

We've been having guacamole and nachos all week, does that count? ;)

Lara Neves said...

Ooh...we have only ONE Mexican restaurant within 4 hours of us. After living in Utah and Arizona my whole life, I really miss it! I will have to make this. Thanks!

Andrea said...

Ole! That recipe looks good!

Loralee and the gang... said...

Yum! I will have to try it!

Vanessa said...

I absolutely LOVE Cafe Rio and I am so sad that when we move to San Antonio the closest one to me will be in Houston (or so I've heard, I'm not even sure about that!). I've tried other recipes that say they are duplicates of Cafe Rio, but haven't found one that comes close yet. I'll have to try yours next. Thanks for sharing!!

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_07.jpg  photo s_10.jpg