We Seek After
These Things
Recently returned from serving the people of Honduras for 3 years

Friday, October 8, 2010

Of Halloween and Chocolate Silk . . .

Did I mention . . .

I  L.O.V.E October!

for various reasons,
but you can't beat the deal on pie at 
 
Marie Callendars - $6.99

any whole pie to go!  Every year  - gotta check it out . . .

This is my FAV - chocolate silk

(and if you don't have one in your neighborhood see MY recipe below!
**which actually comes from Martha Stewart)
 

Then you find picturesque sights like these around every corner . . .

IMG_0161

And finally, cute little ones like this come knocking at your door,'
whole bunches of them,
all CUTE as can BE!




Chocolate Silk Pie

Makes 1 nine-inch pie
FOR THE CRUST
8 tablespoons (1 stick) chilled salted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for pan *
1/3 cup pecan halves
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

FOR THE FILLING
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs

Whipped cream, for serving (Stabilized Whipped Cream recipe follows)
Chocolate curls, for serving

Make the crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9-inch pie plate; set aside. (I recommend using a deep dish plate–I used a regular one and had enough leftover crust & filling to make a second miniature pie.) Grind pecans in a food processor, or chop very finely with a knife. In a medium bowl, combine flour, pecans, sugar, and salt. Cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press firmly into prepared pie plate. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Make the filling: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. With machine running, gradually add melted chocolate and the vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating at medium speed for five minutes after each addition. Pour filling into cooled pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap, and transfer to the refrigerator to cool for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
Just before serving, top pie with whipped cream, and decorate with chocolate curls.


Stabilized Whipped Cream

2 T powdered sugar
1 t cornstarch
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 t vanilla
Refrigerate your mixing bowl and beaters for at least 15 minutes.

In a small saucepan place powdered sugar and cornstarch and gradually stir in 1/4 c of the cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and simmer for just a few seconds (until liquid is thickened). (Mine thickened before it ever came to a boil.) Scrape into a small bowl and cool to room temperature. (I placed mine in the freezer, stirring every few minutes, to speed the process.) Add vanilla
.
Beat the remaining 3/4 cup cream just until traces of beater marks begin to show distinctly. Add the cornstarch mixture in a steady stream, beating constantly. Beat just until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised.
Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

13 comments:

Mommason Hillary said...

going to need to have Norm bring me a piece of that pie.....

Susan Anderson said...

I agree that October is a great month, and your recipe sounds yummy, but I think I'll go for the deal at Marie Callendar's because I am one lazy cook.

Have you ever heard the CD "October Road" by James Taylor? It is perfect for this time of year, and if you haven't been playing it, you need to look into that right away!

;)

Clairity said...

I had a slice of Marie Callendar's pie recently, yums. And the colors of fall are truly incredible!

Elaine said...

I absolutely love pie! and cake! and ice cream!

I guess I should go buy a pie pan now, huh?

CLOTHED MUCH, a modest fashion blog

Unknown said...

YUM! That desert looks fantastic!

Love that photograph!

Momza said...

delicious! we don't have Marie Calendar's here!! thanks for the recipe!

Momza said...

p.s. I love James Taylor's October Road!!!

Reeses Pieces said...

Mmmm...definitely gonna have to try that chocolate silk recipe. I love this time of year also. Happiness is in the air!!!

Debbie said...

Oh, how my kids would love me if I made that pie! Thanks for the recipe.

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Oh boy, does that pie sound amazing! Perfect for the mood I am in right now.

Ann Mitchell said...

And it's birthday month for me...2 nieces, 1 niece-in-law, 1 great niece, and me! And it's General Conference, BYU football, Fall Break/UEA!

Joy For Your Journey said...

I wish I saw pictures like that around every corner!! In AZ October is no different really than April--or most any other month of the year--just not as hot as summer. However, I just got back from a trip where we saw lots of colorful leaves!! I can't wait to post the pictures. Although they look a lot like the one you posted.:-)

Loralee and the gang... said...

Love the fall colors - and the pie? I am gonna have to make that pie...

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_07.jpg  photo s_10.jpg