We Seek After
These Things
Recently returned from serving the people of Honduras for 3 years

Friday, July 4, 2014

Land that I Love . . .

God bless America . . .

Land that I love . . .

These words have never rang truer.









 I haven't had time to share a blog post for close to three months, but couldn't let this opportunity pass by . . . and now . . .

The day is almost gone . . . and hardly a minute has passed today, in all the busy-ness, that our thoughts haven't turned to that land that we love.  I imagine even now . . .

at this moment, sparklers are sparkling . . .

fireworks are blazing . . .

crowds are cheering . . .

and anthems are sounding . . .

All over America.

Land . . . that I love.







Something that many don't know about me . . . is that I really cannot get through the first lines of  . . .

My Country 'Tis of Thee,

Oh Say can You See,

I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag,

O Beautiful for Spacious Skies,

This is My Country,

This Land is Your Land.

Without a big lump in my throat . . . tears in my eyes, and a love of country in my heart.  We were sad today to not have the opportunity to participate in festivities recognizing the birth of this great nation.  But we are celebrating in our thoughts all day!  And remembering (thus ALL the photos!) all the many special times . . . that mean so much to us . . . and to our family.






We didn't make any new 4th of July memories today . . . unless you count wishing "Happy 4 of July!" to another American couple we happened to meet in a restaurant overlooking the ocean on the coast of Honduras . . . who when they heard us speaking English, stopped by to wish us a "Happy 4th! . . .

Okay . . . So I guess we actually did create new 4th of July memories after all!


Before living outside the United States of America for over a year now . . .

I had a list a mile long . . . enumerating all the things that were wrong with America.  (Even though I love it dearly, and truly 'Pledge my allegiance" at every opportunity . . .)

And it's true . . . it is far from perfect.  And I'm sad to say, that I do believe it is becoming less perfect as each day goes by.

But now, my new list is even longer . . . in fact it's so long . . . I could go on and on and on and on about all the things that are RIGHT with America!  Many many many things . . . that truly I have not had an appreciation for in the past.

Someday, when I have more time (like in 2 years . . .) maybe I will try to really enumerate all the great blessings that I took for granted living in this grand country.  ALL the things . . . that are RIGHT with America.  And I think you would be surprised.







(One of the most inspiring Independence Day celebrations you will ever see - Enjoy!)
(Watch this . . . SERIOUSLY, all 28 minutes of it, You'll be so glad you did!)


So while you're enjoying your fireworks . . .

And lighting your sparklers . . .

And singing . . .

 "This Land is your land, this land is my land, from California, to the New York Island, from the Redwood Forests, the the Gulf Stream waters . . . this land was made for you and me!"


Remember to  . . .

Stand beside her, and guide her . . .

Land that I Love . . .

God Bless America . . .





(One thing I am sure of . . . these young people, surely are the Hope of America!)




1 comment:

Susan Anderson said...

What a perfect 4th of July post! Loved it.

And I would also love to hear that list one day.

=)

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_07.jpg  photo s_10.jpg