We Seek After
These Things
Recently returned from serving the people of Honduras for 3 years

Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Mother Letter Project

I've been out of town with my two girls, sister, nieces, one nephew and my parents for the last 10 days. We had so many great experiences which I'll be blogging about soon. But I had a lot of catching up to do on the many wonderful posts I missed while I was gone. I was particularly inspired by this one from my friend Jackie, "I am Falling in Love" that contained a link to the Mother Letter Project. I feel like it's a site everyone should visit and hope you have time to get involved. It's a great way to experience some additional inspiration at this Christmasy time of year.

Anyway - it inspired me - and since I've put my Christmas preparations on hold for a little bit while watching 6 inches of snow pile up in my front yard - I added my experience to the Mother Letter Project with this letter:





Dear Mother,

I'm a Labor & Delivery nurse at one of the hospitals in my city. One of my favorite Christmas memories that I treasure was made while working one Christmas Eve, late when everything had calmed down, the patients and most of the new babies were sleeping. I was alone in the nursery with one brand new tiny little infant boy whose mother was exhausted from a difficult labor process and sleeping, just he and I and a rocking chair. And as I rocked the tiny infant, just so newly born, I was intimately reminded of Mary and the Christ child, born so long ago on that first Christmas Eve. And I couldn't help thinking if she had any idea of the greatness of the mission of her son, of the grand works he would accomplish, the love that he would create amongst mankind. Just as the sleeping mother of the little infant boy could never imagine the great joys and sorrows that perhaps awaited their family surrounding the birth of this little baby.

At that time of my life, I had four little ones at home ages 4 to 13 years of age. It occurred to me at that moment that I was like Mary, I had no idea what great and marvelous things were awaiting my family and specifically my little ones throughout their lives. I was certain that these experiences could contain great pain, yet knew that they would also be greatly blessed in so many ways, and that whatever trials and adversities might come their way, would be a gift in their lives to strengthen and teach them. In reality sent from a loving Heavenly Father who knows and loves each one of his earthly children.

In a way, I kind of made a resolution within myself that night, that I would never take motherhood for granted. That I would enjoy and bask in every minute of it from the adversities to the great joys. That I would be confident in my role as a mother, the importance of being there for their comings and goings, the importance of nurturing and example, regardless of what the current portrayal of women and mothers by the world may be. And now many years later, I still treasure that memory, still treasure each moment of motherhood, still try to find joy in adversity and hardship, and always faith and hope for the future. My wish is that all mothers everywhere might experience and realize their intrinsic value. What a great and noble role is motherhood. Merry Christmas to you!

Sincerely,

Me the Mom
www.alpinekleinbunch.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't you think this is the most wonderful thing! I am glad you are doing it too!

I can't wait to read all the letters!

Thanks so much for posting yours. You are so very tender to me!
Love you!

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_07.jpg  photo s_10.jpg