We Seek After
These Things
Recently returned from serving the people of Honduras for 3 years

Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Best Camera . . .

I have people ask me frequently . . .

"What is the BEST camera?"

Well, personally I'm a Sony girl, which is rather unusual, but I agree with Andrew Harvey that the best camera is . . .

"The one that you have with you"!

It's amazing how good a cell phone can be (mine is a Samsung Galaxy s3) when you have to use a cellphone because you have nothing else with you!  (In fact - if you HAVE a Samsung s3, you can read a cool tutorial on how to take better photos!)

The reason I bring this up is because we spent the last weekend "out of town" in Park City, Utah.  It was glorious fall weather!  It was quite late when we arrived Friday evening and we couldn't see a thing . . . so I was amazed to awaken early and see this out my window . . . which I snapped with my cell phone.


outside the morning window2

I'm also really impressed with the contrast and exposure in this next photo taken a few minutes later.  This photo also includes Norm sitting in the foreground.  I like how it picks up the shadows and still exposes for the scenery outside the window.  I'm pretty sure I couldn't have accomplished this with my big fancy camera :)


norm in shadow

While we were out and about town, we had lunch here . . .

Davanza's pizza - a very unique place, notice all the cans stacked to the ceilings on the walls.  And guess what?  The can's aren't attached to the wall, so they claim that everyone once in a while, they ALL com tumbling down :)



Untitled

After lunch, I couldn't resist snapping the next two photos of historical Park City . . .




Untitled

Untitled

Once upon a time I used to visit a very dear older couple and we would sit on the front porch of the yellow home and visit.  Burnis Watt's used to be my boss once upon a time when I worked for the State Office of Education.  He was a wonderful man, always had a twinkle in his eye, and as far as I knew - always skied every winter on the mountains behind his home until he passed away at the age of 87.  He maintained a beautiful historic home on Park Av in Park City.

Much to my surprise, since I lost contact with Mr. Watts many years ago, the city bought the home in 1997 and it is now a fancy saloon.  You can read more about at the HIgh West Distiller website.

But I remember the days when we used to sit on the front porch, have a nice visit and watch the world go by.

And . . .
 Oh yes, for certain, the best camera is the one you have with you :)


2 comments:

tammy said...

Very cool. Park City is so fun. I kind of want to have a wall with stacked cans now.

CValentine said...

I'm such a baby, but I'm crying right now. Thanks for taking my brother there. I love that you have a connection to that house as well. My GGG uncle, E J Beggs, built it and it holds a very dear place in my heart. I actually tried to convince the city to keep it and turn it into a living history museum since I have pictures and items from the when the Beggs lived there. One of my biggest projects at BYU largely revolved around this house.

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_07.jpg  photo s_10.jpg