We Seek After
These Things
Recently returned from serving the people of Honduras for 3 years

Friday, April 22, 2011

Parable of the Purse . . .

Throughout the last few weeks since our General Conference, where we heard council and inspirational messages from our Prophet and current apostles - I've had cause to ponder over the

"Parable of the Purse" 

as many are now calling the story relayed by Elder Quentin L. Cook.

As a little refresher for those who are familiar, and an explanation for those who don't know what I'm talking about . . .



During his conference address he made reference to a group of Young Women leaders who came across a lost purse at an event, belonging to some young lady.  In hopes of gaining a clue as to it's ownership . . . they began to gingerly examine the contents of the purse discovering -






  • A "For the Strength of Youth Pamphlet
  • favorite scriptures notebook
  • breath mints
  • soap, lotion and brush
  • a handmade coin purse and some money
  • a cake recipe and a note to make the cake for a friends birthday


which led them to deduce that the lost owner was obedient and spiritual, had clean and soft hands, creative and prepared, thoughtful and service minded.

Which has led me to give some thought to what exactly could one assume from examining the contents of my purse???











What conclusions would you come to after taking a look at the contents of my purse?


  • I must have chocolate at all times
  • Frequently under stress
  • I think the Kindle is one of the greatest miracles of our time
  • ranking right up there with the smart phone . . .
  • I collect pens, pencils and receipts ???
  • I really don't see things very clearly without assistance



Hmmmm . . . . I think I need a purse makeover . . .



9 comments:

Momza said...

so cute! now I have to go look in my own purse...which I suspect is very similar to yours.

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

I just bought a new purse and haven't made the switch over yet. I counted 4 hand lotions, 3 lip glosses, 4 hand sanitizers, 2 notebooks, 3 packs of gum. What am I gonna do with all the extras?

Susan Anderson said...

I'm afraid you and I are on the same purse page...

;)

mCat said...

I missed conference so I missed this talk, but I am feeling a great YW lesson coming on and I have to teach in two weeks.
Thanks for the great idea

Amy said...

HA! I love that. I guess it is true, what we have in our purse says a lot about us, hu?

Pedaling said...

for some reason i never have a pen on me.
if i carried chocolate around, i'd eat it all within an hour.
always have some Excedrin on hand! Always!

Joy For Your Journey said...

I just got that you are a very busy mom who has a great love of learning. So, what needs to be made over from that?

Victoria said...

No, no purse makeover necessary. You have all the essentials! :)

Loralee and the gang... said...

Similar contents to mine! Except for keys. Where are your keys?

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_07.jpg  photo s_10.jpg