We Seek After
These Things
Recently returned from serving the people of Honduras for 3 years

Saturday, April 2, 2011

An Evening with Nie Nie . . .

If I look back over my life, there are a few moments and experiences that I would have to designate as life changing moments.  And I must say that my evening with Nie Nie was probably one of those moments.  I know that I will never see life in the same light again and hope that the spirit and feelings of the evening will long remain . . .

I have not been a follower / reader of Nie Nie in the past (unusual and rare I'm sure . . .) but nevertheless, I was very much anticipating attending our Stake Fireside for all Relief Society sisters and Young Women where she was to be the guest speaker.  Probably more out of curiosity for her story is well known and amazing.

I just wanted to share a few thoughts that I took home that touched my heart. Her message is one of faith and hope, a testimony of the Savior, and I came away with a renewed vow to never take the little things in life for granted again.    If you haven't seen the video below, you should watch, it is quite incredible.



It's not that the principles are new or anything I wasn't already familiar with . . . but the way she spoke with such inner strength.  It was obvious she was not the person she was before her tragic experiences.  Stephanie testified how significant and essential it is to have HOPE in our lives.  Without hope, we cannot endure to the end.  Hope and faith go hand in hand together.  Hope is our KEY to direct personal revelation.  Faith is a REAL power in the universe and a source of inner strength.  She testified of how ESSENTIAL it is to rely on the Savior! We gain CONFIDENCE as we rely on the Savior.  To live in despair is not to live.  Hope is a personal quality, essential for righteous living, a Godlike quality.

Something I will remember and ponder . . .  "it is an ABILITY to count your blessings".

Things I take for granted each day . . . zipping, kissing, tying shoes, a touch, a smile.  Enjoy life to the fullest EACH day and be happy just to be alive and to have the gospel in our lives.

Through her testimony I gained a greater realization that through the resurrection and atonement of the Savior  we will be healed of ALL scars . . . scars on the outside AND scars on the inside, and it is because and through our Savior Jesus Christ that we can each be healed.  In the midst of life and our trials, survive them with grace and hold tight to the end result which is the promise of eternal life.

Yes . . . an inspiring evening.  I hope I can remember . . .



5 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Thanks for sharing this, Kristin. I would love to hear even more. I am a big fan of Stephanie's. A BIG fan.

=)

mCat said...

Stephanie is amazing. I have been following her since the accident and I have to say, she is most certainly inspiring! How lucky for your stake to have her as a speaker

Lisa @ Pulsipher Page said...

I would have loved to hear her speak. Thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

I would love to hear Nie Nie speak. She is an amazing woman, and an inspiration. I love your thoughts on what she said. Sadly the video didn't work for me. :(

P.S. I made those cinnamon rolls for Conference, and they are incredible! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Mommason Hillary said...

followed her for years - love love love her (and you too by the way!)

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_07.jpg  photo s_10.jpg