We Seek After
These Things
Recently returned from serving the people of Honduras for 3 years

Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Driggs Sisters Roll Recipe

It doesn't take long to discover once you become a member of the Driggs family in any way shape or form, that the women in the family make the most yummy rolls in the world.  I may be a bit partial at this point, but truly, although I have met many amazing bread and roll makers . . .

when you experience the Driggs sisters gatherings with the family rolls . . . just one bite and you are hooked for life.

I think I was first introduced at the "family shower".  

Is that a term you are all familiar with?

At least here in Utah, amongst the LDS culture, it's a frequent event to gather all the women of the family together to welcome a new engaged bride to be.

Well the sisters gathered at one of the homes . . . and yes, the beloved rolls are always served.  I knew then, that though I wasn't a bread or roll maker . . . someday I would be a roll maker at least.

I probably should illuminate which Driggs sisters I am referring too . . .

My mother in law is Glenna Mae Driggs, and her sisters are Betty, Maxine, Rose and Bonnie.  All children of Leonard and Angeline Driggs.  They did have one brother, Leonard, also.  I never experienced his roll making skills, though they may have rivaled his sisters :)



Well THAT is only half of the story . . .

Collecting the recipe is the REST of the story.  

Because each sister makes these yummy rolls exceptionally amazing, but not quite all exactly the same way . . . it was VERY difficult to pin down the recipe.

If you asked them how to make the rolls . . . it usually went something like this . . .

You start with a little yeast in a pan with some warm water.  Then you'll want to add some melted butter, a little milk, another cupful of warm water, some salt and sugar.  Then just keep mixing the flour in until it gets to the consistency that you like for fresh rolls. Not too much flour is usually best. 

I don't know how many TIMES I received those instructions . . . but could never master the art of roll making!

Until one day . . . a daughter . . . thought to carefully observe her mother's roll making skills, and stop along the way to make a note of every ingredient.  Measuring out every bit of sugar, every dab of salt, each addition of warm water, yeast and flour.

Until finally the RECIPE was truly made available.

And now . . . I can say that I am a roll maker.  And they are amazing.  And I hope someday that my girls (I'm not leaving out you boys if you wanna give it a try!) can be amazing Driggs family roll makers as well.  It's a family tradition that is worth repeating!

(AND - if any of you family members have photos of the sisters you want to send me to include - that would be amazing!)


Grandma Glenna's Bread / Roll Recipe

1/4 C. warm water
2 T. yeast

1 1/2 C hot water
1/2 C sugar
1 cube margarine or butter
1 T. salt

1 can milk or (1 1/4 C water + 2/3 C powdered milk)
4 eggs
4 C flour

Add 4-6 C additional flour


Instructions:
In a mixing bowl, add the first two ingredients without stirring.  Let sit.

In a medium microwave safe mixing bowl add the next 4 ingredients. Heat in microwave until margarine or butter is almost melted. No mixing necessary.

To the medium mixing bowl with the margarine mixture - add the canned milk (or substitute).  Then add the 4 eggs. No mixing necessary.

Finally turn the mixing bowl contents into the first mixing bowl that contains the resting yeast and water. Add the first four cups of flour and begin mixing flour into other ingredients.

Continue adding additional flour until mixture remains sticky but begins to pull away from sides of the mixing bowl.  Keep dough very soft.

You can either let dough rise at this point.  Or form dough into rolls, cinnamon rolls, loaves of bread etc.

Let product rise until approximately doubled in size.

Bake at 350 degrees until done through and lightly browned.




3 comments:

Mary said...

What a fun story. I love hearing about what brings families togeather.

Susan Anderson said...

I'm always trying to get my mom's "recipes." But the thing is, they don't seem to come out the same because I don't have her hands that recognize where to add a little flour or a touch of moisture.

She is quite the artist with yeasty things.

=)

HolliJo said...

I am so happy you posted this. I've wanted this recipe for SO long. Thank you SOOOO much. :)

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_05.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_07.jpg  photo s_10.jpg